- Member for West Torrens
- Minister for Finance
- Minister for State Development
- Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy
- Member of the Executive Council
Tom Koutsantonis holds the seat of West Torrens in the House of Assembly and was first elected to the South Australian Parliament on the 11th of October, 1997.
Born on 23rd of August, 1971, Tom has lived in the western suburbs his entire life.
He attended Netley Primary School, Adelaide High School, and went on to study at the University of Adelaide, paying his way by driving a taxi. He then had to leave University before completing his degree to help run the family small business due to an illness in the family. Later employed as an Industrial Officer, for the Shop Distributive Allied Employees Association.
Tom enjoys cooking, gardening and watching both football codes. In particular, the Power - he is very much a one eyed Port Adelaide Football Club supporter – and Liverpool.
He is very active in the local community as proud Member and Patriot of organisations and associations such as the St. George Orthodox Church.
Tom’s greatest love is his family, his wife Anthea and recent arrival, beautiful baby Tia, born in November, 2010.
The West Torrens region included the first country sections to be surveyed by Colonel Light and his party. It was amongst the earliest areas to be settled and was one of the first districts to seek local government status following proclamation of the Districts Councils Act in 1852.
Area: approx. 26.7km2
Location: The 1998 redistribution made significant changes to the boundaries of this district (formally Peake). The Gulf St Vincent forms the western boundary and the River Torrens the northern boundary. The Adelaide International and Domestic airport and a mix of older and newer suburbs and some light industry are features of this district. No boundary changes were made at the 2003 redistribution.
History: West Torrens was a district for the Legislative Councils of 1851-1856. The name was used for one of the 17 House of Assembly electoral districts created in 1856, effective 1857. Discontinued as a name in 1901, reintroduced in 1915, discontinued in 1936 it was revived again in 1955 and discontinued again in 1969. The name has been reintroduced once more by the 1998 redistribution.